Stir Fried Sweet Leaf


Sweet leaf is a vegetable that is becoming less popular in my country. However it is easy to grow and requires less supervision. Here people loves to cook it with coconut milk and pumpkin or sweet potato. It is one of my aunt's favorite soup. Sweet potato and sweet leaves coconut soup is a delicious partner for fried fish and rice. 

Sweet leaf is a vegetable which is widely grown and lives in Malaysia. It is also widely grown in tropical area. It is also known by the name katuk and stargooseberry and its botanical name is Sauropus Androgynus. In Malay it is called Pucuk Manis, Cekur Manis, Cekak Manis, Cangkok Manis (Brunei) and Asin-asin. In Chinese language it is called Mani Cai. In Thailand it is called Pak Waan Ban, in Japan it is called Amame Shiba, Rau Ngot in Vietnam, Chinese Malunggai in Filipina and Madhura Cheera in India.1


Sweet Leaves or Sayur Manis

This vegetable has many health benefits such as high in Vitamin K, B, C protein and minerals.1 It is believed to have some benefits for health and beauty. However sweet leaf must be cooked and cannot be consumed raw. There were some cases of lung damage which were associated with excessive consumption of sweet leaf juice in the 90's.1

One day I bought a bunch of sweet leaves to get the stem to regrow them. And my parents went overseas so I have to cook only for myself and my aunt. I was thinking what to cook with the sweet leaves I got. It was plenty for 2 ringgit price. At last I decided to cook a simple menu with the leaves, stir fried sweet leaves. It is simple but appetizing. I have come to liking it.


This time I did not add the dried shrimp and shallot. 

Ready in 20 minutes
Ingredients
  • 2 cups sweet leaves
  • 1 tablespoon dried shrimp
  • 3 clove garlic (crushed)
  • 1 shallot (sliced)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tbsp cooking oil
  • Salt to taste
Method
  • Heat the oil in a pan. Use medium heat.
  • Add in garlic and saute until aromatic. Add in shallot and stir.
  • Add in dried shrimp and followed by water. Cook until the water bubbles and boiling.
  • Add in sweet leaves and cook until the leaves aren't raw. Add salt to you preferred taste. 
  • Remove from heat. 






Reference
1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauropus_androgynus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sauteed Romaine Lettuce

Scrambled Egg Sandwich with Toum

Lempeng : Flat Pancake Recipe